P-TEEN Achievers' Network, Inc.
- 3 in 10 teen American girls will get pregnant at least once before age 20. That’s nearly 750,000 teen pregnancies every year.
- Parenthood is the leading reason that teen girls drop out of school. More than 50% of teen mothers never graduate from high school. Aid young parents by starting a Babysitters Club so they can take GED classes. Sign up for Babysitters Club.
- About 25% of teen moms have a 2nd child within 24 months of their first baby.
- Less than 2% of teen moms earn a college degree by age 30.
- The United States has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western industrialized world.
- In 2011, the teen birthrate in the United States fell to the lowest level recorded in nearly 70 years of tracking teen childbearing.
- In 2008 the teen pregnancy rate among African-American and Hispanic teen girls, age 15 to 19, was over two and a half times higher than the teen pregnancy rate among white teen girls of the same age group.
- 8 out of 10 teen dads don’t marry the mother of their child.
- A sexually active teen who doesn’t use contraceptives has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year.
- Almost 50% of teens have never considered how a pregnancy would affect their lives.
- Teens had fewer babies in 2010 than in any year since the mid-1940s.
FACTS about Teen Pregnancy